School Health Advisory Committee
The majority of SHAC members must be parents of students enrolled at Navasota ISD and who are not employed by the District.
1. The number of hours of instruction to be provided in health education;
2. Curriculum appropriate for specific grade levels designed to prevent obesity, cardiovascular
disease, Type II diabetes through coordination of health education, physical education, and
physical activity, nutrition services, parental involvement, and instruction to prevent the use
3. Appropriate grade levels and methods of instruction for human sexuality instruction; and
4. Strategies for integrating the curriculum components specified by item 2, above, with the
following elements in a coordinated school health program:
a. School health services;
b. Counseling and guidance services;
c. A safe and healthy school environment; and
d. Employee wellness.
- District policies ensure that elementary and middle school students engage in the amount and level of physical activity required by Education Code 28.002(l).
- The School Health Advisory Council met four times via Zoom during the school year.
- Navasota ISD complies with Texas Education Agency's vending machine and food service guidelines for restricting student access to vending machines.
- Navasota ISD has adopted and enforced policies that prescribe penalties for the use of e-cigarettes and tobacco products by students and others on school campuses or at school-sponsored events.
- Parents may request in writing their child's physical fitness assessment results at the end of the school year.
For more information on SHAC, please visit the Texas Department of State Health Services website by clicking HERE.
SHAC Meeting Schedule for 2023-2024 *All meetings are held in the NISD Board Room at 4:00 p.m.
- October 16, 2023
- December 18, 2023
- February 26, 2024
- March 18, 2024
SHAC Annual Report to the NISD Board of Trustees
Navasota ISD SHAC's Mission, Vision, and Goal
2022-2023 School Year Files
2021-2022 School Year Files
2020-2021 School Year Files
2019-2020 School Year Files
2018-2019 School Year Files
2016-2017 School Year Files
According to Texas Senate Bill 9, Navasota ISD is required to provide instruction relating to the prevention of child abuse, family violence, dating violence, and sex trafficking. Navasota ISD, with guidance from the School Health Advisory Council (SHAC), will approve the curriculum that will be used to teach each of these topics and has determined the grade level(s) that will receive instruction on each of these topics.
As a parent/guardian, you have the right to preview the curriculum(s) at any time. Your child’s campus will share information regarding parent education opportunities that will be offered throughout the school year allowing you to preview the material(s) and ask questions of your child’s campus leaders. At least 14 days before each instructional presentation, your child’s campus will provide communication regarding the date(s) of each of these lessons.
Before a student may be provided with instruction related to child abuse, family violence, dating violence, and sex trafficking, Navasota ISD must obtain written consent from the student’s parent/guardian. Parents/Guardians will complete the SB9 Consent Form.
*Please note: that not all topics are covered at every grade level.
Texas House Bill 1525 Information for Parents and Guardians